Sunday, July 22, 2012

Artists That Have Inspired Me




Part of my journey as an artist has been to open myself up to learning from others.  Having painted only two years, I am nearly an open canvas to change.  The painting above resulted from a copy of Jackie Schindehette's original painting (I take no credit for this painting and it is, of course, not for sale!).  I took lessons from her and this was the result of several months of work.  Not having painted much in oils, it added a high amount of difficulty.  It was excruciatingly hard to paint and frustrating, but I am happy with the end result.  I will always treasure this painting.

I am a big fan of Jackie's and she is a patient, wonderful teacher.  She is quite famous and has even painted ornaments for the White House!  I learned the most about skies and clouds and depth and how to achieve it.
 

I painted this after a clouds workshop at Linda Blondeim's studio.  Her daughter provided snacks and we painted, laughed and ate.  All my favorite things!

Linda Blondeim is another favorite of mine.  I have taken some group workshops and I find her fun and easy-going.  Her students love her.  I also think she is a genius at marketing her art.  Her greatest talent, in my opinion is capturing the light and feeling of nature.  I love the fact that she can take a simple natural setting and make me want to go there and experience it!


And, of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my good friend, Donna Leeward.  She is the teacher that got me going on painting and she and I still go on adventures and paint together.  I treasure her friendship and love our lalapaloosa days riding bikes, finding bbq and looking for the perfect painting spots.

Donna grew up exploring the backwoods and byways of Florida.  Her father taught her to paint and was a real Florida cowboy.  He is an incredible artist in his own right.  Some of Donna's greatest gifts are simplifying the scene and using brilliant color in her paintings.  She loves Florida history and seeks to educate about Florida history with her paintings.

She tried to teach me to paint for a year.  I was so frustrated as I had always sketched and felt very comfortable with that.  Somehow I could never 'get' painting.  Then one day, we went out together and she very patiently helped me through my first successful plein aire painting.  Something clicked, and I have been painting ever since!  Thank you friend, because of you, I have now spent countless days loving painting!


This was that painting.  It sold and was one of the first I sold at an art show.  Very exciting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment