Sunday, November 4, 2012

Beginner Acrylic painting

When I first started painting, it was so hard finding information, unless I doled out quite a bit of money for lessons.  So I decided I would help other beginning painters.  Do you want to be a painter?   I have only been painting for two years, but I would like to share with you some of the basics.  I paint landscapes in acrylic and oils.  I also paint plein air (or outside).  So far, I only use acrylics outside.  I find they dry quickly and you can do quick paintings.  You can paint oil over acrylics and I sometimes paint the acrylics outside and then go over it in oils indoors.

Today we will start with the basic materials for an acrylic painting.  You will need:

A material to paint on.  I use canvas from the craft store.  It is easiest to start on a small size.  8x10 or smaller.
You can also use watercolor paper, wood, canvas on board, etc.

Acrylic gesso

Acrylic paints in the following colors:

Cadmium red
Cadmium yellow
Ultramarine Blue
Titanium White

You can make almost any color with hese basic colors, but I like to also use these for landscapes:
Raw Sienna
Ivory Black
Alizarin Red
Light Cadmium or Lemon Yellow
Pthalo blue (blue or green tint)
Ochre
Again, these are not absolutely necessary as they can all be mixed by using the primary colors above!

If you are painting abstracts, you may want to add some of the brighter colors you like.

Brushes

Rounds, at least two sizes, large and medium
One or two flat brushes
A small liner brush
Filbert
A 2" large flat brush

If you want to save, just get a small round and a small flat brush to start.

Round pallette knife

Easel
There are lots of kinds.  A table-top one is the cheapest, or a fold-up metal one.  Make sure it is sturdy and will not fall apart easily.

Some of these materials are not absolutely necessary if you just want to do one painting.  It will depend on your level of commitment.

Realize it doesn't happen overnight.  Painting is a long process and results do not happen until a lot of work and commitment has taken place.  It took me a year of failing before I was able to produce something I felt halfway good about.  Give yourself room to fail and keep trying.  It is worth it in the end and you will love it so much it will become a part of you.

My next blog will be starting to paint!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I hope you enjoy the blog. I will be adding more tips on painting later!

    ReplyDelete